This is the kind of cocktail that deserves a good porch sit on a steamy summer afternoon, the sort that has bugs in your face and humidity plastering your cheeks and enough sultry heat that you don't care much about either. Astringent orange combined with lush peach offers a languid refreshment.
- 2 oz Mommenpop d'Orange Vermouth
- 1 1/2 oz Crescent Simples Peach Hibiscus Simple Syrup
- 1 oz Tequila Anejo
- 1/2 oz lime juice from a fresh lime (reserve lime)
- 1 dash Artemisia Quercus Bitters
- Salt for rim of glass, preferably J.Q Dickinson Craft Cocktail Salt or Artisan Culinary Salt
- Extra Ice
- Lime wedge or sprig of mint, for garnish
* Special Equipment: mallet, cloth bag or large hand towel, rocks glass.
- Combine Mommenpop, Peach Hibiscus Syrup, tequila, lime juice, and bitters in a shaker with plenty of ice. Stir well to combine.
- Leaving the cocktail in the shaker, run the squeezed portion of the lime around the edge of the rocks glass.
- Spread your salt out into a container about 1/4 inch deep. Gently dip the rim of the glass into the salt, shaking off any excess.
- Place fresh ice into the cloth bag or wrap it in the hand towel. Using the mallet, crush the ice until it forms rough chips.
- Gently scoop or pour the crushed ice into the glass, filling it nearly to the top. Strain the cocktail out of the shaker and over the ice, bringing it close to the rim.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or sprig of mint and enjoy on a hot summer's afternoon, Be sure to drink it before the ice dilutes it too much!