This is our take on Japanese kohii zerii, or coffee jelly. It's a refreshing dessert of jellied coffee cubes drenched in sweetened milk. Our version swaps out some of the coffee for a combination of Vitae Coffee Liqueur and our own Nocino Americano.
- Pour the cooled espresso into small saucepan. Sprinkle with the gelatin and allow to bloom for a minute or two.
- Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Add the coffee liqueur, Nocino, vanilla extract, and maple syrup to the espresso. Add a pinch of salt, if desired. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust the maple syrup, if desired.
- Rub a square mold with a paper towel moistened with vegetable oil. Pour the espresso mixture into the mold and refrigerate until set, several hours.
- As the gelatin sets, prepare the milk: combine the coconut milk or oat milk with the sweetened condensed coconut milk. Whisk well to combine and hold in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To serve, unmold the gelatin and cut into cubes. Pile the cubes in a rocks glass and carefully pour the sweetened milk over them, filling the glass to the brim. Serve with a spoon.