Little more than whiskey, mint, sugar, and ice, the julep is as iconic as it is simple. There's no doubt, whiskey and mint pair well together. A little blackberry liqueur adds depth to the equation.
- 5 spearmint sprigs, stems removed
- 1 oz Catherine & Michel Langlois Crème de Mûre de Bourgogne
- 2 oz rye whiskey
- Spearmint sprig, for garnish
- Place a few cubs of ice in a fabric bag or between a few tea towels. Crush roughly with a mallet (a rolling pin works in a pinch).
- Muddle the spearmint leaves in a shaker. Add ice, the Crème de Mure, and rye whiskey. Stir to combine.
- Generously fill a Collins glass with the crushed ice. Strain the contents of the shaker over the ice and garnish with the mint sprig.