No, we didn't name this after a dirty dish towel. This cocktail takes its inspiration from its namesake, Old Rag Mountain. It's also a more rugged play on an Old Pal cocktail.
Located at the edge of the Shenandoah National Park, Old Rag is known for its strenuous rock scrambles and breathtaking views. Tighten your pack straps, pull up your socks, and of course, tote this cocktail along in your hiking flask.
- 1 oz Byrrh Grand Quinquina
- 1 oz Artemisia Solstice Vermouth
- ½ oz Scotch
- ⅛ oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- ¼ oz simple syrup
- Orange rind, for garnish
- Combine the Byrrh, Vermouth, scotch, allspice dram, and simple syrup in a shaker over ice and stir gently to combine (vigorous shaking will ruin the delicate aromatics in this cocktail.)
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice. Express the orange rind over the glass and drop it into the cocktail.