- 4 pounds carrots, tops removed and peeled
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 head of garlic, cloves removed and sliced very thinly
- 1½ teaspoon cumin, preferably toasted
- 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
Slice the carrots lengthwise, or into long quarters if exceptionally thick.
Heat the olive oil in a wide, heavy pot. Add the carrots, coating them with the hot oil, and season with salt to taste.
Add the sliced garlic and 1 cup of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes, or until the carrots are just barely tender. Be sure not to overcook them, or they'll turn mushy.
Uncover the pot. Bring the remaining water to a boil and cook until fully evaporated.
Season the carrots with the cumin, red pepper flakes, and the paprika. Transfer to an oven-safe casserole pan to serve.